Using video as a component of any marketing campaign is smart, but how do you make a great video that will generate the response you are looking for from your target audience?Here are 6 key ingredients that will make sure you produce a great video to whet your viewer’s appetite.
- Story. Working in healthcare marketing, and in the healthcare industry there are great stories happening all the time. Someone can enter the hospital in a wheelchair and walk out on their own two feet. There is an amazing story behind something like that. However, it takes a certain set of skills to be able to identify these stories and turn them into videos that resonate with your audience.
- Humans are emotional creatures and we relate to each other because of shared values and commonalities. Make sure to weave these factors into your message.
- People make the story unique; so find an entertaining story wrapped in a charismatic person.
- "Content is King.” Video content attracts consumer attention, engages viewers, and improves your SEO. In fact, an optimized video can increase the chance of a front-page Google result by 53 times.
- Provide strong, entertaining and relevant content to your target audience. Start by asking yourself if your video topic is something your customers are interested in.
- If you have one video on a topic, someone might happen upon it and find your content engaging. However, sharing 5 or 10 videos breaking down each component of a topic provides the feel of a comprehensive campaign and positions you as a thought leader.
- Storytelling. Does your video clearly communicate your message? It’s very easy to get sidetracked with special effects or graphics, but it’s important to remember why you decided to make this video in the first place.
- A content cut is crucial to locking down the storyline and should be a top priority before moving on to other phases of post-production.
- A content cut allows you and any internal stakeholders to have a clear understanding of the story being told without b-roll footage and graphics taking away from the core message of the video. Then add in the graphics and additional b-roll footage to really reinforce and enhance the story.
- The Hook. It is mandatory that within the first 15 seconds of your video you provide your audience something to relate to or that grabs their attention. Whether you appeal to their emotions, supply relevant information, or simply entertain them, you are marketing to them in a manner that has value.
- Once you have the audience's attention, you want to keep them engaged with entertaining and interesting content.
- Keep the quality of the content at a high level from the start and build engagement with points of interest that make the viewer anticipate what’s going to happen next.
- Know your target demographic and speak their language to make sure they understand the content you have provided.
- Keep it short. The average attention span today is 8 seconds. Shorter videos are easier for the viewer to consume and lend themselves to potentially go viral.
- Analytics prove that there is a dramatic drop off in viewership after 2 minutes.
- Think about cutting longer videos into a 3 or 4-part series to increase your reach and to allow your customers to get more from the videos. If you weigh down a video with too much detail your audience will lose interest and stop watching.
- This will help to keep you in front of your customers and provide a deeper dive into your specific product or services. Continually communicating with and appealing to your consumers is essential to success.
- Promotion. You have spent a lot of time and effort completing your video, so make sure you are promoting it in the right way. You should have an opportunistic mindset as you seek to leverage your video across multiple platforms.
- Website/Homepage – Let everyone know you’ve finished a new video by featuring it on your homepage.
- Social Media – Promote your video on social platforms by using inviting thumbnails and rich copy.
- YouTube (of course) - As the number two search engine in the world, YouTube is a great place to attract eyeballs. Strategically YouTube isn’t always the best solution. It is one solution in a much larger strategy. Wistia is another hosting option with great analytics that provide valuable feedback in making your next video.
- Integration - It always helps to surround your video with a campaign that features complimentary content including print and digital. A multichannel campaign helps you to reach multiple audiences and expand your campaign’s reach with more impact.
Video is a powerful medium, and telling a great story is at the core of delivering a relevant, engaging and impactful video. Video is only going to grow in its importance as a valuable content marketing tool. Whether you are just starting out or have been interacting with video for some time now, it's not too late to harness its power to engage your target audience in a meaningful and memorable way.
By Jason Stepanek | Posted Sepember 6, 2017
Web Content / Video Manager